Monday, September 23, 2013

Chalk Paint

I caught up on some painting today . My son Steven made some more boxes for my sewing projects just before we went on our trip to Tasmania. Between the weather and  every day activities I didn't get around to painting them. I bought my paint and added the baking soda ( this turns the paint into chalk paint) then started. When I finished the boxes I decided to paint the outside bench DH wasn't sure about this but bit his tongue  :-)) when I finished he was pleasantly surprised and pleased with the outcome...my recipe for the chalk paint mixture
 
Chalk Paint
  1 cup   Latex paint
  1/2    Baking soda
   3 tablespoons water just enough to make it similar to runny pumpkin soup.

             OR

Chalkboard paint
 1/2 cup acrylic paint (choose any color you like, or mix colors together to make the perfect shade!)
1 tablespoon unsanded grout (this can be purchased at most hardware/home improvement stores,
mixing cup or bowl, spoon, paint brush and an object or board you plan to paint on.
2. Stir the grout into the paint until no lumps remain.
3. Paint your surface with your new custom chalkboard paint! The paint will begin to harden once it is mixed, so only mix what you need at one time as it won't store as well as other paints.
Once your chalkboard has fully dried be sure to slate the surface before using it for the first time. To slate a chalkboard lightly rub chalk along the surface and then lightly rub







                                         Happy stitching..........

8 comments:

  1. The boxes look great and I love the. New look bench

    ReplyDelete
  2. great boxes and love the bench seat.xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Everything looks lovely in the white paint. Hugs......

    ReplyDelete
  4. Perfect project for a perfect view! - Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gosh I haven't heard of adding baking soda to paint before!! The result is great :-) You have a fabulous view from your garden!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a handy son you have.I never heard before of this chalkpaint recipe....Love your painting work

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, these look great. Thanks for the paint recipe, my daughter and I looked at a tiny tin of chalkpaint in the home dec store the other day and it was $35 so I'm thrilled to know we can do it ourselves!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just love your recipe and hope to try it myself. Love your projects!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave me a comment...I appreciate each and every one of them!