Thursday, November 14, 2013

Pierogi (Polish cooking)

I spent the afternoon preparing and cooking Pierogi  , it is a polish dish which I called little pillows. Inside they are filled with cottage cheese and potatoes, or a mince filling. There are other fillings but these are the ones mum made.

My son has an infected hand from a rusty down-pipe he was  fixing for us when it was pouring with rain. So I thought I would make his favourite food from his grandmothers cooking days. I also sent a message to my grandson to let him know as he also enjoys them. The answer came back that he would stop by after work to have dinner with us. My eldest son is not keen on them which suits me as far as the work involved in making them :-)

By the time I finished I said to my husband,mum must have been NUTS to stand in the kitchen all day cooking these (she would have made more than double my quantity )

                               


                               

                               
                                  I forgot to take a picture of the potato and cottage cheese filling.

                                

                                

                               

The dark ones are the mince filled and the rest are potato and cottage cheese filled.
                                

                                                


                                                 










                                                                                 happy stitching...................

4 comments:

  1. Looks like a lot of work but they I bet they were tasty. Your son's hand looks very sore. Hope it gets better soon. Hugs.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope he went to the medecin with his hand ,it looks bad.... And your cooking looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have heard of mince perogis but I'll bet they would be wonderful. My in-laws are 100% Polish and are a staple at holiday meals. She only makes potato and kraut and occasionally cheese and plum if I beg her. They're so good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your cooking looks amazing! I hope your son's hand heals ok - it looks REALLY sore! Ouch!!
    xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave me a comment...I appreciate each and every one of them!